Youth Farm (Y-Farm) Project is a brainchild of Fresh & Young Brains Development Initiative and Alexijan Consults which adopts a two-pronged approach to promote youth-led farms and agribusinesses, as well as highlight the benefits of farming for sustainable youth development and livelihoods. The YFarm Project aims to promote agriculture as a Fun activity, Culture, Career and Business among African Youth.
The Project was launched as a National Campaign under the “YFarm: My Farm, My Swag Campaign” during the 1st National Stakeholders Meeting on the YFarm Project by the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Oxfam, UNWomen, and other stakeholders held in Abuja on April 2, 2014.
The meeting drew stakeholders from youth organizations and networks, civil society, Government, Media, and Development Partners who pledged their commitment to ensure a huge success of the Campaign.
YFarm Project enjoys endorsement and support from the African Union Commission, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Federal Ministry of Youth Development, UNDP, UNWomen, UN Volunteers, National Planning Commission, National Agric Foundation of Nigeria, youth networks and Development Partners.
YFarm Project adopts and uses an integrated and comprehensive strategy ranging from social media; print, electronic, traditional media; mobile application; online directory of African youth in agriculture; theme song; documentary; capacity building; among others.
To promote a youth-led agribusiness society, reduce poverty and increase active youth participation in sustainable agriculture by 2020.
To establish, celebrate and promote at least 10,000 youth-led farms and agribusinesses across Africa by 2020
- To provide a unique platform to support and integrate youth into National Youth Employment in Agriculture Programme (YEAP), Agricultural Transformation Agenda (ATA) and Africa Vision 2063
- To advocate for increased public investments in small scale Agriculture for youth
- To promote mentoring and business opportunities for young farmers and agropreneurs
- To create a platform to enable youth and stakeholders to appreciate the role of Agriculture in rebuilding their Nation and the Continent
- To document sustainable farm practices, challenges and recommendations from youth-led farms
- To celebrate youth in Agriculture translated into specific proposals and recommendations to governments and development partners at the end of this campaign.